This Coming Week
- SAGS: Will be held this Saturday. All Welcome!
- Dinghy Sailing: Dinghy Sailing is officially back for 2015. Series 1 begins Saturday. We hope to see you there!
- WAGS: This Wednesday. Please see link below for Courses and Sailing Instructions. Refer to club noticeboard for handicaps.
- Sailors with Disabilities: Program continues Tuesday, 3rd February, and as usual the following Thursday (5th). Could all volunteers please be at the boatshed at 3:30pm, and all participants (volunteers & sailors) please let Gordo know if you are coming via text message. Alternatively you may call Gordo on 0411 524 262 for further details, or register your interest online – click on link above.
- Wet Season Reminder: To all members who leave their tenders on the CYC courtesy wharf – Please remember to check your tenders regularly if you prefer it to stay afloat. The onus is on each individual owner to bail out their tender when necessary, and is not the responsibility of the Cairns Yacht Club.
- Car Park Patrons: Due to scheduled SWD and CBOC training sessions on Tuesday & Thursday afternoons there is limited car park space. If you are not involved in these activities, we would appreciate members not accessing the car park at these times. Also, please be advised – leaving your car in the car park when going for an overnight sail is only permitted for club events.
- Sailing Footage Wanted: To all sailors, volunteers & observers – In 2015 the Cairns Yacht Club is going to focus on getting as much media attention as possible to promote sailing in Cairns. If at any stage throughout the year you get the chance to take photos or video footage of any type of sailing, could you please send it through to Mark Leitner at the email address listed below. Any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Mark on 0413 456 904 to discuss. firstname.lastname@example.org Happy Sailing!
- Marina Thefts: Local police are investigating recent thefts from five commercial vessels moored at the Marlin Marina. One vessel sustained damage after offenders forced entry to the cabin and rummaged the bar. One vessel had an outboard motor stolen after it was untied from the bow. In another a Yamaha outboard motor fuel tank with 20L of unleaded fuel and a crate of 40-50 masks and snorkels were stolen. A portable fuel tank and filter were stolen from a tender. Boaties in the Marina are urged to secure valuables and alert police to any suspicious activities. The offenders appear to be approaching the vessels from the waterside in a small boat and climbing aboard. Anyone with information which could assist with this matter should contact Crime Stoppers anonymously via 1800 333 000 or crimestoppers.com.au 24hrs a day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation working in partnership with the Queensland Police Service. For all non-urgent police reporting or general police inquiries contact Policelink on 131 444 or Policelink.qld.gov.au 24hrs a day.
- Sailing Committee: We won’t be holding a Sailing Committee meeting in January. The next meeting will be held at 5:30pm, Monday the 9th of February in the Regatta Room. Any agenda items, please forward to Scott one week prior to meeting.
- CYC Half Yearly Meeting: The Executive Committee has reviewed the date of the Half Yearly meeting and has decided to change it to THURSDAY 19th FEBRUARY 6PM . Of recent times the Sunday scheduled meetings have not attracted sufficient members to form a quorum. The Executive Committee is trialling a weeknight date this year to see if that will increase the numbers. Please disregard the date of the 15th February which is listed in the calendar. Thank you. – Vice Commodore, Brian Dowling.
- Sailing Committee: The next meeting will be held at 5:30pm, Monday the 9th of February in the Regatta Room. Any agenda items, please forward to Scott one week prior to meeting.
- CYC Half Yearly Meeting: Will be held on Thursday, February 19th at 6pm in the Regatta Room.
- Instructor Training for 2015: “In 2015 the CYC plans to conduct a series of training session in partnership with Yachting Queensland (YQ), the Cairns Cruising Yacht Squadron (CCYS), and Mission Beach Sailing Club, for Keel Boat Instructors (expressions of interest urgently sought), Dinghy Instructor Course, Assistant Dinghy Instructor Course, Power Boat Handling, Safety Boat Certification and Race Official Training. This is part of our commitment to building sailing capacity across all fleets and will support our application for re-accreditation as a Discover Sailing Centre. The first course being held in 2015 is the Keel Boat Instructor Course (click on link above) at the CCYS from Friday the 27th of Feb – Sunday 1st of March 2015. Please register your interest as per the information on the flyer attached. If you can also let me know I would be grateful. I have not be able to find information on cost of the course as yet, but at this stage registering is the first step. The CYC executive is currently considering a proposal to reimburse training cost for those member who then in turn offer their skills to the club to run course.” – Scott Davis.
- Ellis Beach Opening Day Regatta: The Ellis Beach racing season kicks off for 2015 on the weekend of 21st-22nd February. Stay glued to this page in the coming weeks for more details.
- The Mickey Ink Port Douglas Race Week: Will be held 24th-29th May, 2015. The Micky Ink Port Douglas Race Week is held over Port Douglas’s Carnivale, so it is a fabulous time to be in Port Douglas, the town comes alive with a plethora of events and of course the regatta is the highlight.